- Republican senator: Trump declaring national emergency at border 'very dubious move' Washington Examiner
- A Trump national emergency declaration could face challenges CBS News
- Trevor Noah Tells Democrats: “Give Trump the Wall Before He Finds Out What He Can Really Do” Slate
- Emergency declaration option for wall tests GOP | TheHill The Hill
- Trump’s Emergency Powers Threat Could End Shutdown Crisis, but at What Cost? The New York Times
- View full coverage on Google News
Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, questioned the constitutionality of President Trump declaring a national emergency.
He has floated the idea of calling a national emergency at the border to get the wall built without congressional approval
Slate’s Use of Your Data
President Trump is digging in on potentially declaring a national emergency to construct the U.S.-Mexico border wall, a move that would set up a clash with Republicans on Capitol Hill.
If the president invokes emergency powers to build a wall, it could be a mutually face-saving way to reopen the government, but also a violation of constitutional norms.